How to Avoid Common Errors
Carefully read all of the questions on the FAFSA. Mistakes can possibly delay your application and limit the amount of aid your are eligible to receive. To avoid errors:
- Do not list an incorrect SSN or driver's license number.
- If your parent(s) do not have Social Security numbers, list 000-00-0000.
- Use your legal name. Your name must be listed on your FAFSA as it appears on your Social Security card.
- Do not enter a temporary or summer address as your permanent address.
- Do not leave blank fields. Enter a '0' for numeric or 'not applicable' for text.
- Be careful when using commas or decimal points in numeric fields (round to the nearest dollar).
- Do not list the Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) as equal to the total income from working (the AGI is usually greater).
- If you incorrectly file income taxes as head of household, the school will need and amended tax return to be filed with the IRS before paying out financial aid awards.
- Be careful when listing your marital status. The Department of Education wants to know your marital status on the day you sign the FAFSA.
- Be sure to provide all of your parent's information. If your custodial parent has remarried, you will need the stepparent's information as well.
- List both legal parents on the FAFSA if they live in the same household, even if they are not married.
- An unborn child must be counted as a member of the household if that child will be born during the award year and you will provide the child with more that half of his or her support.
- Don't forget to count yourself as a student (member of the household attending college during the award year).
- Register with the Selective Service, if you are a male 18 to 26 years of age. Failure to register will make you ineligible for federal student aid.
- Remember to list the college you plan on attending by entering their federal school code. Purdue Fort Wayne's school code is 001828.